Diet Tips

Antiques Road Show Can be Fun for All Ages

A few weeks ago, I decided to watch an episode of Antiques Road Show with my 10-year-old son and five-year-old daughter. I was not sure what to expect, because in my mind, it was more of a show for grown-ups, and I wondered if they would become bored and want to leave. Five minutes into the show, however, I realized that they were enjoying it more than me.

The first item to be appraised was an 18th century clock. I was amazed at how much the appraiser knew about the history of the clock and the company that created them. He spent about three or four minutes talking about all of the features and giving a little bit of insight into the work that went into creating it, and then came the all-important dollar value. The appraiser estimated its value at more than $5,000, to the astonishment of both of my children.

It was kind of funny for me, because my wife and I had always loved to watch Antiques Road Show, but we tried to do so when we knew the kids would be away, because we were certain they would be nagging us to change the channel. During the first commercial break, my son got up and ran to the refrigerator to get a juice box and asked my daughter if she wanted anything. That was something I had never seen before.

Antiques Road Show seemed to be having a strange effect on my family, and I have to admit, I liked it. The next item up for bid was a collection of original sketches of Fredric Remington. The owner had no idea who Remington was, which incensed me, and was pleasantly surprised that they could fetch as much as $30,000 at an auction. It seemed almost blasphemous that such a numbskull would be in possession of these works of art but I digress.

Next up were some photos of The Beatles from an early recording session to which only about 30 people were privy. They were in excellent condition, and they were color photos. My son became very excited about these items because he has always loved The Beatles and it was something he actually recognized and could give an opinion on. I don't remember what the appraiser told the man they were worth, but it was a pretty penny.

Antiques Road Show turned out to be a very enjoyable show for my children, and when my wife got home from the store, she as equally surprised. Now, we watch the show as a family; we all get involved and my son and daughter are learning. There are a lot worse ways a family can spend its free time.
You have read the best review article categorized by best tips and the title Antiques Road Show Can be Fun for All Ages. You can bookmark or spread this post by using this URL http://besttipsto.blogspot.com/2012/05/antiques-road-show-can-be-fun-for-all.html. Thank You!

Comments :

0 comments to “Antiques Road Show Can be Fun for All Ages”

Post a Comment

Affiliate Marketing Training Programs and Courses
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive